Monday, May 19, 2008

RADIOHEAD

So what do you do after an incredibly successful weekend?  Go to a Radiohead concert.  Was I tired? Yes.  Could I feel my feet? No.  Did it matter...absolutely not.  The experience can be summed up in a few short words...inspiring...challenging...excellent...creative...beautiful...mind-blowing.  

I had the privilege to go to the concert with BT.  He is a huge Radiohead fan.  I was a part-time fan but you can consider me a big fan now.  

So in ever experience like this...I want God to show me something about worship and about crowd dynamics.  It was a different concert.  Most concerts I go to have a ton of audience participation.  The Killers for one was one for sure.  Participation was contagious and if you didn't you felt like you were missing out on something special. The same with U2 and Coldplay.  But with Radiohead, I was observing a work of art.  I kept thinking, these guys don't care if I participate or not.  They are just doing their thing.  And for some reason, that made it even more special.  The way they used the video, gave you the sense that you were looking in on them...it sorta looked like security camera but VERY cool security cameras.  The lighting was inspiring because they didn't use 1 moving light.  It was all stat
ic.  And these lights...they looked like a flower.  They mesmerized me with the color and beauty they created.  Then the video...LED tubes were everywhere and created 2 effects for me.  
1) creative chaos...the images and sites almost hurt and 2) serene...the mood that could be set by the simple beauty these lights displayed...you just had to see it.

For me, I liked the experience for a concert.  But in relating it to a worship experience, God re-ignited a desire in me for the crowd...the people. I don't want to be apart of an observing crowd.  I want to be apart of a participating crowd.  There is power in participation.  It is contagious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I'm REALLY jealous! I've only been to two concerts: The Eagles & The Killers. But I'm happy that, as a performer, you got to see the side I see-a great performer & a great show. I get to see it every Sunday! lol Peace & Love!